"Bruce E.Harris" wrote:

> I have MK 7.2 install on my IBM Thinkpad 385XD (I gave up on MK8 for it since
> I could never get the eraser head mouse to work). I upgraded the HDD to a
> 10GB one and had a devil of a time installing. Something went wrong and after
> reboot I would get a kernel panic and lockup. After many reinstalls I tried
> OnTrack Disk Manager and was able to install MK 7.2 and it works great. But I
> have to boot fm floppy, if I try a HDD boot I get this error:
>
> "Error 1 loading OS. This may be due to a virus.
> 1. Shutdown.
> 2. Boot from floppy
> 3. Run ONTRACK Disk Manager
> 4. Select "Upgrade" option from Main Menu"
>
> I am afraid if I do that I will loss MK and have to reload, yet again. I
> checked /etc/lilo.conf, and it looks ok. I ran lilo, but this error persists.
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA
>
> Bruce

This has to do with what "Ontrack" software has done to your harddive,
and is not a Linux problem per se. I do not use Ontrack but have seen
many kinds of this disk formating/partitioning software that gets
installed with a new harddive. I think the only way around your problem
would be in un-install the Ontrack software, manually take care of disk
formating and partitioning by using Mandrake tools. If you are dual
booting, there is always the old dos standby for this kind of thing,
fdisk. Yes, you are right if you are thinking that this means a
re-install for Mandrakeski.....

drjung

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com