You probably need to give us a little more information. Like what type of
network card is this that you are having problems with? Is this an
external cable modem or one that is internal and needs its own driver
(this is very uncommon).  And for sound, what type of sound card is it? It
is fairly likely that you just need to get a few modules configured to
come up during boot time.  The easy, cheating way, to do this is to simply
add the module to the end of the /etc/modules file.  But that doesn't
solve some problems that you may have, and it doesn't deal with the
options you may need to set.  So it is best to work with this in
conjunction with your /etc/modules.conf file.

If Mandrake can't see your ethernet card, then it can't be configured.  So
you need to first resolve the fact that Mandrake can't see the card.  If
it is a PCI card you can usually find information on the card by typing
lspci, and reviewing the output.  However, to get the card working you
will need to examine your installed modules with lsmod.  Then you can
install modules that are missing to make the card work. Once you figure
out what had to be done to make the card work you can configure this
information into your modules.conf file and modules file.  The hardware
tools in the Mandrake control panel should be helpful.