On Thursday 30 August 2001 11:50, you wrote:

 Changing to default
 modprobe: can't locate module serial
 Please wait while probing serial port...
 Then it went into the configuration menu and it said:
 IP address: 24.102.7.207
 Netmask: 255.255.254.0
 Automatic IP (and I checked the button that says [bootp/dhcp]
 pr1.on.wave.home.com (my hostname)
 Everything already installed
 Setting network parameters OK
 Bringing up Interface lo
 Bringing up Interface eth0
 Determining IP information for eth0
 failed
 [FAILED]
 Everything already installed
 Then back to root.

This seems to tell me that Mandrake isn't seeing my NIC (or so I think).
Can anyone tell me what the problem MIGHT be?

What is is saying is that your NIC is not the internet connection.

In order to have more than one internet connection, you need to use DrakProfile to set
up
multiple profiles.

If you during install set up the NIC first than added a normal modem (not a cable
modem), this
would be exactly what would happen.  The NIC would be assumed to be a local netwiork
connection
and the modem the internet connection.

To do this properluy, remove ALL interfaces then put just the NIC back and let that be
yuour
internet gateway.  Draknet was set up this way because many customers use a Mandrake
system as a
gateway to the internet for other local machines--sharing an internet connection.

The easiest way is to reinstall in this case, and make sure you talk to Draknet in its
interface window
during install and install ONLY local network.

The current Beta has a Draknet that removes manyu of the restrictions of 8.0 including
the one you speak of.

Civileme
QA Team