Hello,
 I'm hoping that there is someone who can help.  I sent this message
several times and got some suggestions which did not work.

After a system crash I lost the capability to start X.

I get the error messages
 failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
 could not open default font 'fixed'

I know that X can run because in the boot sequence it runs the graphical
boot screen.   There must be some file somewhere that needs to be adjusted
or removed.  It won't load X as root or any user.  I even reinstalled the
X packages to no avail.

Next step is to just reinstall the whole damn thing.

Anyone have any ideas about what and where to fix the font path
   'unix/:-1' ?

TIA,
 -sen