On Monday 10 September 2001 09:26 pm,  Sheldon E. Newhouse wrote:
> Hello,
>  I'm hoping that there is someone who can help.  I sent this message
> several times and got some suggestions which did not work.
>
> After a system crash I lost the capability to start X.
>
> I get the error messages
>  failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
>  could not open default font 'fixed'
>
> I know that X can run because in the boot sequence it runs the graphical
> boot screen.   There must be some file somewhere that needs to be adjusted
> or removed.  It won't load X as root or any user.  I even reinstalled the
> X packages to no avail.
>
> Next step is to just reinstall the whole damn thing.
>
> Anyone have any ideas about what and where to fix the font path
>    'unix/:-1' ?
>
> TIA,
>  -sen

One of the things you can check is if your /tmp or root partition is
(practically) full.   Make some space or clean up /tmp if so.

Here's a link with a big (troubleshooting) section on this topic:
http://feenix.burgiss.net/xstuff/xfs.html
talking about checking links and logs for clues and such with some good
suggestions.
Good luck,
-s