I've had this same thing happen, it was a couple of things.
The root of it is: Your font server (xfs) isn't running, and won't
start. (try "ps -ef | grep xfs").
 Starting it by hand usually won't work. You'll need to fix "why" it
didn't start.
Check that /tmp & /var aren't either full, or very nearly so, and check
their permissions. In my case the permissions on /tmp were wrong, and
the required processes couldn't write to it (hence, xfs would not start).

With that corrected, try starting xfs manually via "service xfs start".
Then check for it "ps -ef  | grep xfs" Once you have that running, X
will start. (it just won't run without it's font server).

I hope that helps. Good luck.

        Ric