Hi Jose,

Thanks for your response and further assistance.

At 09:45 AM 10/20/2001 -0400, Jose M. Sanchez wrote:
>One common source of problem which 8.1 exacerbates, through no fault of
>it's own, is DMA on CD-ROM drives.
>
>Some CD-ROM/R/W drives do not co-exist well with hard drives on the same
>IDE chain. These CD-RW drives can accept DMA access mode.
>
>Systems in turn do not favor dissimilar speeds on the same IDE bus. It
>seems especially if older IDE cables are used (noise?).

I suppose that the above refers to the Linux box which was in problem in
installation.  In this PC, C drive (ATA 33) is connected to primary IDE as
master with a ATA33 cable and CDROM to secondary IDE also as master with a
ATA33 cable.  If I am wrong please correct me.

>By turning off DMA on either the hard drive or CD ROM everything
>works...

Do you mean that start the Mandrake-Linux 8.1 and turn off DMA in BIOS.  Or
start the PC, turn off DMA in BIOS and re-install Mandrake-Linux 8.1

>I can manually turn on DMA after the system starts, but I have to be
>careful with "marginal" CD's which will hang the computer during CD read
>requests...

How to turn on DMA after Mandrake-Linux 8.1 started ?

>As I've mentioned, we only perform 2x writes for CD's which are going
>out for mass production in my firm. This is to assure no problematic
>reads on the duplication machines.
>
>When we go beyond 4x we will get failed batches, which is not good.

Noted with thanks

>|It was a A4 Tech 3 button-wheel PS/2 mouse.  The installing program
>|selected PS/2 standard mouse automatically and I was not allowed to
>|change.  If changed the monitor screen started to blink and I
>|could not
>|change it back to PS/2 standard mouse.  Then the PC will re-start
>|automatically.
>|
>|After Mandrake-Linux 8.1 started, in KDE I brought up
>|HardDrake window and
>|found the mouse there under HardDrake List.
>|
>|At re-boot the PC hanged during kill process with following
>|warning pop-up
>|Mainloop return consoleInit : no such device or address
>|INIT : no more left in this runlevel
>
>This may well be another separate problem, no longer related to the
>CD-Burn...
>
>Try "resetting" the PNP/PCI info in the BIOS and set the BIOS to
>NON-PNP.

OK

>Bring up LM8.1 in text mode (initlevel 3) and kill off KDM/GDM if it is
>running.

Is it in Safe-Mode.  I am not skill enough using combination-key without a
mouse.  Which command shall be used to kill off KDM/GDM ?

>Then run mouseconfig to re-configure the mouse in text mode.

Is it in Xterm window or any window ?

Thanks in advance.

B.R.
Stephen