Fred Biehl wrote:
> I want to (more like 'need to') limit or maybe close the file system´s cache
> in my physical memory space. I´ve been experiencing a very low system´s
> performance time and I belive that this might be a solution for this issue.
>
> can anybody help me?

Why don't you post with your system specs (CPU, RAM, etc.) and which
version of Mandrake you're using.

Sorry to poke my nose in here -- I'd rank myself as a semi-competent
newbie at this point in time and am not sure what you mean by the file
system's cache -- do you mean something other than Linux's swap space?

If you mean Linux's swap space, somebody else may know better, but I
don't think you want to do that unless you really know what you're doing
(and maybe have a lot of RAM, like 512 MB -- enough so that your system
never uses swap).

My main comment is to say (especially if you are new to Linux), that, in
general, I've found the performance in Linux for equivalent tasks / GUIs
(like Windows 95 vs. KDE 2.1 on Mandrake 7.2) to be significantly worse
than Windows.  I'm hoping someday Linux will be better in this area.
(I'm sure that Linux gurus reading this would point out that you can use
light weight GUIs (like BlackBox or IceWM) or the Linux command line to
get better performance.)

Hope this helps,
Randy Kramer