|-----Original Message-----

This is not true. Linux does not have the overhead of Windows.

It may SEEM to be slower to you because the application you are running
may have more memory overhead than an equivalent one in Winblows. This
is why the "Gurus" are quick to point you towards a "lightweight" GUI.
KDE is still rather large, though the next release promises to finally
optimize it.

However in a one to one comparison, Linux usually fares better.

Try running Blender on Linux and in Windows on the same system. (or
Maya) These are both "heavyweight" 3D applications. Linux normally
outperforms Windows in my experience.

|I'm
|hoping someday Linux will be better in this area.
|(I'm sure that Linux gurus reading this would point out that
|you can use light weight GUIs (like BlackBox or IceWM) or the
|Linux command line to get better performance.)

By the same token, I have at a minimum 4-8 separate "desktops" available
to me in KDE. As a result I can leave things simultaneously running on
each desktop and barely notice the application load.

It's not unusual for me to bring up Maya or Blender and render on one
desktop, PAN and download "stuff" from newsgroups in another (for 8
hours at a time!), & surf and read E-Mail in a third while listening to
MP3's. In windows I'd need three systems to get similar performance.

So for me, Linux is far faster and useful.

If Linux seems slower, then something is amiss.

Soapbox on: it's pointless to compare a P-II computer w/64 megs of RAM
running Linux with one  with 256 megs of RAM in Windows of the same
speed, as many people insist on doing...

Soapbox off:

-JMS