Oscar wrote:
> Run an application in Windows. Fast!... but... suppose the application hangs.
> What happens to windows?...
> Run an application in Linux. Less fast... but... suppose the application
> hangs.
> What happens to Linux? The security has a price ;-)

You have a point, but I've used Windows for so long that I've learned
ways to avoid or minimize crashes.

> BTW, these answers are not referred to the original subject by Fred:
> $ free
>           total      used      free   shared   buffers  cached
> Mem: 223360 219292 4068  236        576      115792
> I suppose he's talking about the "cached" memory.
> But I don't know the answer.
> Any idea?

Yes, I suppose he is, or generally the swap (I keep top running in a
console).  I don't know of a way to reduce the amount of cached memory
used -- I think your system will slow down if Linux wants to swap
something out of memory and doesn't find any swap available.

regards,
Randy Kramer