Thanks Andre, I tried the turboprint driver, but the problem is the
same.  Before every page, I get a page (for every page in the print
job!) with 4 ascii lines:

BJLSTART
ControlMode=Common
AckTime=Short
BJLEND

Greping the disk shows some binary files like libgimpprint.so have these
lines in them, hence the search for a different driver.  However, it
appears to be a general cups problem, perhaps a "setting", but I have no
idea where it is!

BillK