Wolfgang Bornath wrote:

> Am Montag, 26. November 2001 18:37 schrieben Sie:
> > Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a desktop and a notebook, both connected via cross-over
> > > cable.
> > >
> > > All in all it looks ok to me. But the desktop doesn't ping the
> > > notebook and vice versa. The notebook can't connect to the
> > > internet. The cable was the last resort but it's ok, I tested it
> > > at a friend's machine who has a similar setup.
> > >
> > > What is wrong here?
> >
> > Your cable (or flaky connections)...
>
> I already tested that at a friend's setup, s.a.
> I also tested the NICs singularly, they are doing ok.

Then, the first thing to resolve is why you are not seeing any packets coming in
on either side of that cable...   For example, pinging the desktop from the
laptop should show the TX packets incrementing on the laptop and RX packets
incrementing on the desktop...  if not, why not.

Pierre

PS:  Here's one of my old .signature files:

> "Until you've found *and* fixed a problem, you can NOT discount *any*
> possibility; what you gratuitously discount will likely be the source
> of the problem(s)."         Pierre Fortin - 1990

That was the result of *many* situations where people insisted "it can't be X",
or "it *has* to be Y"...   By persuing the problems logically, you will
generally arrive at the most likely root cause; BUT, until you've fixed it,
there is still no guarantee the logical answer is the right one...