On Tue, 2001-11-27 at 09:12, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> OK, I've spent another 3 hours, even reinstalling the whole desktop
> pc. It was a fresh installation anyway.
>
> I bought a new cross-over cable. I borrowed 2 other NICs from my
> company,
>
> Once again:
>
> Desktop has:
>
> eth0 10.0.0.10 which goes through ppp0 to the dsl modem.
> eth1  192.168.0.1
> Io     127.0.0.1
>
> eth0 can ping the Internet, and ping both other devices
> eth1 can ping both other devices
> both ethx can ping themselves
>
> Notebook has:
>
> eth0  192.168.0.2
> Io   127.0.0.1
>
> eth0 can ping Io and ping itself
>
> But:
>
> Notebook cannot reach any other destination apart from own eth0 and
> own Io
>
> Desktop cannot reach neither notebook address.
>
> BTW: Firewall is absolutely off and security is set to "cracker's
> delight" on both machines. I'm not yet bothering about internet
> access sharing and forewarding and masquerading, I'm just trying to
> get both machines to see each other. Oh, it has nothing to do that
> the two screens are pointing in different directions, has it? ;-))
>
> BTW: I had everything running with a 8.o installation with the same
> hardware!
>
> No  more ideas.....

I'm running out of ideas, too. But here's a couple more:

1. I know you tested your laptop connected directly to the adsl modem
and it worked before. Have you done so this time, and does it work?

2. Have you tried connecting the two PCs with a hub and CAT-5 patch
cables?

Dave
--
When I was little, I went into a pet shop and they asked how big I'd
get.