I had this working many moons ago, but with new upgrades/installs, it's all
been lost and I can't remember what I did (but I know it's not that hard --
that's why it's driving me crazy).

So here's what I've got going on:

- ntp installed on all of my machines
- ntp configured on fileserver to sync to external time server (doesn't stay
synced, however).
- ntp configured on remaining nodes to sync with fileserver who is supposed
to  allow that

But what's happening is that the ntp on the fileserver will start up, sync
with the external time server, but down the line, the time begins to drift
and according to my syslog, there were never any more attempts to keep time
synced  (ntp-4.1.0-1mdk installed on every one of them).

And on the local clients, in my /etc/ntp.conf, I've got 10.1.1.3 (the IP for
the fileserver) set for the server.  That never worked so I stuck it in my
/etc/ntp/step-tickers and still, no love.  Here's what I get:

ntpdate[13387]: no server suitable for synchronization found

I portscanned the fileserver and 123 isn't even open (shouldn't it be
listening on that port?).  When I do a 'ps auxw |grep ntp' on the
fileserver, all I've got is 'ntp -A'.  Should there be anything else in
order to allow other nodes to sync?

So what am I missing here?  I'm all out of ideas.

Thanks in advance,

-Charlie
--
GPG Key fingerprint = 4F36 EC4F 2F2C 5F59 9690  09E5 4C0F 9DB0 8623 53CE