the ntp stuff in lm now is the ntp4 release whereas xntpd uses ntp3 (4 should
be backwards compatible with 3), in normal usage the only difference is that,
as bill says, you need to have /etc/init.d./ntpd running and not as before,
..../xntpd, to all usual intents and purposes, a rename, clients running
xntpd have no problem syncing with a server running ntpd and vice versa

bascule