Chris & Gisela Slater-Walker said:
> I don't know about the NTP client/server you are using but I use a
> piece of freeware called Chrony. It's easier to set up than xntpd,
> although it doesn't have certain options like broadcasting time to a
> subnet etc. I have found it very reliable.

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.

After a little more looking, I found an interesting page
(http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntpfaq/NTP-s-config.htm) that says that,
yes, ntp (or more specifically ntpdate) only goes out and syncs the time
once and never again and points out that, well, you could put that in a cron
job, but then you really don't have yourself a self-sustaining time server,
do you?

xntpd kept itself up to date (that's what I was running back in the day) and
then xntpd stopped being shipped in most distros (why was that, anyway?) and
replaced with ntp.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me since xntpd
would do ntp's job, then some.

Cheers,

-Charlie

--
GPG Key fingerprint = 4F36 EC4F 2F2C 5F59 9690  09E5 4C0F 9DB0 8623 53CE