I have had some problems with ntp not working as well, while xntp3
worked perfectly.  One thing I found (from trawling through the
docs) was that adding a 3 on the line after the server line can
help.  This is telling the ntp4 client that the server is ntp3.

I am still having a few other issues, but this did fix it in a
number of cases.

Brian Schroeder