Bill Kenworthy said:
> Be aware that some versions of xntpd have a security hole.  I think you

It's running behind a firewall on my local LAN, so I'm not too worried about
me cracking my own box :)

> need to go back and reread the documentation for ntpd - ntpd is a
> daemon, used to set both the time on your machine and can act as a
> server for your network (I use it for both).  Ntpdate is similar to
> rdate (which uses the time service instead of ntp for for its time
> information).  ntpdate is a client for manual use, or for cron jobs
> where you may need fine control over when you check the time.  ntpd is
> for continuous, automated updates which occur on a schedule set by the
> daemon depending on its hosts stability, access to servers etc.

So if you go through your syslog, can you find where ntpdate periodically
syncs on its own with the server you've listed in your ntp.conf?  Everything
you've said makes perfect sense and it work{s,ed} for me when the server was
runn.  It's just strange that a lot of people are experiencing the same
problem that I'm having.

> The Mandrake ntpd should work out-of-the-box as a service - even to the
> point where it asks for a timeserver during the OS install.  Possibly
> your problems stem from trying to modify the ntp.conf or other files
> and creatying problems for yourself.  Run the server as I specified
> before (with the original ntpd.conf changed to add a known good time
> server) and check syslog.  Also check out the ntpq program.

It's not a terribly difficult thing to change the default 127.127.1.0 or
whatever it is in the ntp.conf to 10.1.1.3.  And 'ntpq -p' shows everything
as it should.  People on the comp.protocols.time.ntp newsgroup have even
done tcpdumps and see the requests coming in -- there's just something wrong
that no one can figure out.  But you've seemed to have got it running.
Dunno.

> Attached is the relevant paragraph from the documentation:
> "In some cases it may not be practical for ntpd to run continuously. A
> common workaround has been to run the ntpdate program from a cron job
> at designated times. However, this program does not have the crafted
> signal processing, error checking and mitigation algorithms of ntpd.
> The -q option is intended for this purpose. Setting this option will
> cause ntpd to exit just after setting the clock for the first time. The
> procedure for initially setting the clock is the same as in continuous
> mode; most applications will probably want to specify the iburst
> keyword with the server configuration command. With this keyword a
> volley of messages are exchanged to groom the data and the clock is set
> in about a minute. If nothing is heard after a couple of minutes, the
> daemon times out and exits. After a suitable period of mourning, the
> ntpdate program may be retired."

I'll look into it again.

Thanks,

-Charlie

--
GPG Key fingerprint = 4F36 EC4F 2F2C 5F59 9690  09E5 4C0F 9DB0 8623 53CE