On 18 Dec 2001 13:55:28 -0500
Michael Leone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From:         Michael Viron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >I've seen this quite a bit when trying to rebuild 8.1 rpms on Mandrake
> >7.2 -- in that case it had something to do with the version of rpm not
> >supporting some options that were in the rpm spec file.
>
> >On 8.1, it's possible that this has something to do with rpm-devel not
> >being installed?  That's one of the first things I would check.
>
> Nope; good idea, tho.
>
> [turgon@minas-aran turgon]$ rpm -qa | grep rpm
> rpm-devel-4.0.3-0.27mdk
> urpmi-1.7-14mdk
> gnorpm-0.96-5mdk
> rpmlint-0.35-1mdk
> rpm-build-4.0.3-0.27mdk
> rpmtools-3.1-4mdk
> rpmdrake-1.3-106mdk
> gurpmi-1.1-14mdk
> rpm-python-4.0.3-0.27mdk
> rpm-4.0.3-0.27mdk
> grpmi-8.1-7mdk
>
> >Also check to see what version of rpm is being used by cooker.
>
> I'll look. But updating rpm scares me almost as much as upgrading glibc
> -mess either one up, and you've pretty much hosed your system. :-(

Mandrake 8.0 and 8.1 use rpm 4.
7.2 used rpm 3

If you want to build for 7.2 you will need to build from tar.gz you will not be
able to do it from the src.rpm.

Trying to update 7.2 to rpm 4 can be a 'total nightmare'.
It must be done in increments and may cause all sorts of problems.
This is the main reason that when 8.0 was released that it was recommended that
it be done as a clean install not as an upgrade.

   Charles