kt,

as it now appears, your modem;
 ATI0 = product id  = 247
 ATI1 = rom id      = 0314B USA
 ATI2 = mem test    = MT2834ZDX  {{{ looks like a rom id
 ATI3 = firmware id = 101162240001000000239010
 ATI4 = internal id = 09-16-96   {{{ this dates to speed/type

my modem;
 ati0  56000
 ati1  068
 ati2  OK
 ati3  V1.120-K56_DLS
 ati4  Motorola ModemSURFR 56K External
 ati5  022
 ati6  RC56DPF L8570A Rev 35.0/34.0
 ati7  000

and, someone else will show something still different.

for that reason, log multitech again and search with _your_
'ati1' and 'ati2' to see what you can find.

while at multitech, search for their versions of 'at' command set.

you need multitech 'at' set to build profiles and get an 'at&v' dump
to see what is stored.

> No, unless I can find docs from an old modem around here somewhere.
> I seem to remember that a book came with modems listing all the
> commands and also how to program the "S" registers.

really need for modem chipset you have. get from site.

my modemsurfr guide list ati0-4, no 5-7, and diff what i show above.

> As far as I know, looking at KPPP, it's ATZ for both. Not sure where
> to look for init string other than in KPPP....

'atz0' and 'atz1' should be used once profiles are built.
one profile for originate mode, other profile for answer mode.

good luck. hth.

tc,hago.

.
--
 think green...  save a tree, save a life, save time, save bandwidth,
  save storage.   send email,   text/plain - disable pgp/gpg/geek code