On Saturday 29 December 2001 09:33 pm, mycal62 wrote:
> further questions:
>
> you said:" If you go back to usin kde2 regularly, you'll probly
> have to fix some stuff.  I got tired of it and just --force'd all
> my kde2.2.2 rpms back in .. that fixed everything"
>
> If I can run kde 2.1.1 and 3.0 on the same box what breaks if I
> switch back and forth?

    Since you seem to be runnin a fairly stock 8.0 version, and I use
8.1 with a lot of cooker, I'm sure your results will differ from mine.
Back in 2.2.2, I had to re-enter kmail and knode configurations,
many apps would no longer dock into the panel, some wouldn't even
start, some had to to be 'kill <pid>' to exit them.

> also show me an example command line to use the --prefix option.
> say I want to install kde 3 to /opt
>
> also wouldn't I rather use the --relocate instead to make an rpm
> install to a specific location it's not used to ?

http://www.rpmdp.org/rpmbook/node17.html#SECTION02249000000000000000

   Mike, have you looked inside the kde3 rpms you have?  I'll just
bet they're already set to install to /opt.

   Try 'rpm -qpil kdebase-3.0beta1....rpm |less'  or use MC.

--
      Tom Brinkman             Corpus Christi, Texas, USA