On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Ken Nowack wrote:

> > Check this link:
> > http://fi.samba.org/samba/docs/swat_ssl.html
>
> Well, thats somewhat informative, but.....
>

> Apparently doesn't apply to mandrake, either that or
> mandrake has it's packages in all different locations,
> or (most likely explanation) my system is installing
> packages in weird paths just to spite me and make me
> feel stupid.
>
> I can't find any mention at all in any of my openssl
> docs regarding stunnel....The directory
> /usr/share/docs/packages doesn't exist...in fact, I
> don't find any stunnel anything on my comp.
>
> With that said, why has my computer smitten me so? Is
> everyones life like this or just me?

OK, here are step by step instructions for Mandrake 8.0.
8.1 should be trivially different.

1) Go to http://rpmfind.net and look for the latest stunnel
   package. The version I used is  stunnel-3.20-1mdk.i586.rpm.

2) Install the package with
   rpm -ivh stunnel-3.420-1mdk.i586.rpm

3) Configure stunnel with:

  openssl req -new -x509 -days 365 -nodes -config \
  /usr/share/doc/stunnel-3.20/stunnel.cnf -out \
  /etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem -keyout /etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem

  Type this on one line or exactly as printed with the \ at the
  end of the line (make sure no spaces follow the \ ).

4) cd to /etc/xinetd.d

5) rename swat to swat.rpmsave

6) restart xinetd with
   service xinetd restart

7) Run the following command:
   stunnel -p /etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem -d 901 -l /usr/sbin/swat swat

That's it! You should now be able to browse an encrypted connection
to port 901 or your machine.