Todd Zashin wrote:

> Larry,
>
> Thanks again for your reply.  I have seen that article and it is helpful
> except for one caveat.  We dont run a domain here and do not need Samba to
> be a domain controller.  I want the XP machine to join the workgroup.  Will
> that registry change make the difference for the XP machine to join a
> workgroup?

Todd

To be honest here, I don't know. As I stated previously I do not run
Windows XP. I do however have a Windows 2000 Pro box connected to the
network and it did not require any modifications to the Registry.

On the Linux box I have a user account for each machine on the network
and a samba passwd for each user.

AFAIK, the Linux box must be running Samba and serve the shares for the
Windows to be able to connect, The Workgroup should be the same setting
on all machines on the network.

I'm sure someone here is running a Windows XP connection and can provide
the full and correct procedures.

Larry