Mark,
   If got my comp doing what you describe.  I got it to do this at
install.  However this line is the line in my fstab that mounts at
boot.  All users can write to this drive. (since good ol winders
doesn't know from permissions)

/dev/hdd1 /mnt/data vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0

then the permissions on the /mnt/data dir are 777

James