WEll, I'm not getting to far with this little adventure.
I can get the icon on the desk, and it even starts the application it's
supposed to. But with varied results.

For example
I set up a Netscape file in .gnome-desktop.
It puts the icon on the desktop as it should. It even starts Netscape.
(good start). But I get a pop-up window with the error:
        could not fdopen() the new stderr:
        invalid argurment

Netscape runs fine, after that.
Ok, so it has no place to write stderr. But what controls that?
So, I turn on terminal to see if it writes anything there. Nope. It
stays empty. BUT, I don't get the error message any more. Turning off
the terminal, gets the error message back. :|

This "should" be a simple matter. (Oh, and yes, I'm using Nautilus to
control the desktop). I can't find anything the gnome, or nautilus
documentation about how to do this.

Somebody has to know, RedHat, and Mandrake both put their stuff up
there!

Thanks again!

Ric