Harm Bathoorn wrote:

> Hi all,
> This is the second time I'm sending this question. I'm sorta dissapointed at
> the silence. Does this mean that you all, despite all the noise you make
> don't really know the difference between the slack PPP and the Mandrake PPP
> (I certainly don't, but then I'm just a skipper trying to get his loaded
> barge from Amsterdam to Paris and Vv--but I'm willing to learn, only I do
> need help!) ..if so, that's just as bad as Windoze. Simply accepting all
> that's delivered with the PC (or the cdrom) as the 'walhalla' and no
> (real)questions asked!
> Frankly I'm heavily dissapointed.............:(
> -----
>
> I've got a problem here.
> I want to install Mandrake on my thinkpad(P133, 40m ram, 1 gbHD) -no problem
> at all using 7.2........
> Here's the but: My gsm serial connection will not work and I realy need it to.
> symptoms:
> If/when the pcmcia card (cdromdrive) is in the socket I get 'sorry the modem
> is busy' on a query (it's on ttyS1)
> On removing the cdrom card I get a lot of gibberish on a query but at least
> the modem is found.
> Slowing down the modem to 2400 k reduces the gibberish that's all.
>
> The exact same configuration using Slackware7.2 works flawlessly.
> Anybody got any hints how to get this out of the way?
>
> I badly want Mandrake on the laptop as I use it a lot to show off to windoze
> users how linux makes old hardware look goood;)
>
> --
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Harm Bathoorn.
>
> "Free software is changing global economy the same way trade guilds did in
> the middle ages"

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

I also have a Thinkpad (TP600E) and I have had an interesting time
configuring it.  In regards to the problem with the pcmcia card, it
really sounds like a resource conflict; either IRQ or io address.  There
is a way to tell the pcmcia card manager to not use a particular
resource range.  You need to add the resources you want excluded to the
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts file.  Do you have Mandrake 8.1 installed
already, or are you trying to install it?

Best regards
Arnold
--
Arnold Troeger                          Unocal Thailand
Phone:  011-66-2-545-5456               5th Floor, Tower 3, SCB Park Plaza