Harm Bathoorn wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 January 2002 09:55, you wrote:
>
> > Assuming you have Mandrake installed, we need to get the resource
> > conflict handled.  In /etc/pcmcia/config.opts you should see "exclude
> > irq 4", "exclude irq 3", "exclude port 0x2f8-0x2ff", and "exclude port
> > 0x3f8-0x3ff".  That should prevent the pcmcia card from getting
> > resources the serial ports need.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Arnold
>
> Well actually Slack was still installed. The only exclude mentioned in
> config.opts is irq 4 for the first built in serial port..
>
> I copied the the relevant config files to a floppy and started re-installing
> mdk7.2. Interesting to see if and which diffs there are. It'l take a while
> with the p133 though:)
>
> After that's worked out I'l be giving 8.1 a try. On installing 8.1 with
> 'expert' option the first demand is about optional 3rd party kernels on
> specific floppys.
> I'm not quite in the clear as to exactly which floppies are meant and how to
> acquire them.
>
> --
>
> Harm Bathoorn.
>
> "Free software is changing global economy the same way trade guilds did in
> the middle ages"

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

It might help to have a look at the "include port" lines as well.  If
those lines exclude the ioports normally reserved for serial ports 1-4
then we may have an explanation.  The only thing that occurs to me in
regard to 3rd party kernels is that there may be other floppy images on
CDs 2 and 3.  Good luck with the install

Best regards,
Arnold
--
Arnold Troeger                          Unocal Thailand
Phone:  011-66-2-545-5456               5th Floor, Tower 3, SCB Park Plaza