> Having used VNC almost daily for a year I can offer the following.
TightVNC is the least bandwidth intensive.  Available at tightvnc.com  There
are clients for Windows, Linux, (linux builds on FreeBSD) and Mac.  Viewing
Linux on windows is better than the other way around.  Since Windows doesn't
multitask everyone winds up with the same desktop, and you tend to crash
windows (what a suprise) fairly easy.  However if you are on windows and
viewing linux it rocks.  It's useable down to a 56k connection but it feels
a lot like a 486 at 56k.  Use a window manager like ice or fvvm for the best
results. KDE and Gnome are tooooooo graphicaly intesive for remote viewing.
However the apps from kde and gnome work well under ice or fvvm.  If you go
regular VNC they even have a client for CE.  It works as a viewer but its
not the fastest thing in the world.

I'm not using VNC (I'm using a commercial software - Exceed - to access a
remote Linux-box) It's not the same philosophy, but we remarked one thing
(just for information) :
Under KDE we have a bandwith used of 10kbytes emiting from the server. While
under Gnome this rise up to 350kbytes!!! Using other window manager, it
droped a bit for about 7-8kbytes... Maybe you'll have the same experience
via VNC....

J-C

PS: I'm speaking in bytes! not in bits....