Progress.  I downloaded and built the source for
kernel-2.4.8-34 and built the solo driver into the
kernel.  I commented out all the sound stuff in my
modules.conf, rebooted, and viola...sound, and
networking.

I have also had success with kernel-2.4.17 now, with a
couple caveats.  The first is that I downloaded the
source tarball from kernel.org and configured and
built that, with the solo1 driver built into the
kernel as described above.  Sound works.  I have a
problem at the moment with my 3c589 working...the
module loads fine but instead of connecting I get a
wierd error message:

sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
socket: protocol not available  make sure
CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER are enabled in your
kernel.

I'm pretty sure they are but I am rebuilding it now.
Another caveat involves a host of non-fatal errors
upon boot, which I also noticed on the mandrake 2.4.17
kernels when I tried them.  First is:

Unknown bridge resource 0:  assuming transparent

AND I get a hundred or so entries in my
/var/log/messages thus:

clm-6005: writing inode 53605 on readonly FS.

Finally, kernel-2.4.17 appears to have a problem wth
kudzu.  Kudzu fails to run on boot and the
/var/log/messages specifies that it failed and that it
should be run by hand.

Assuming the 2.4.17 kernel I am presently building
works with regards to networking (and doesn't give me
the sit0 error message mentioned above), I will use
the kernel config file I used to make it with the
mandrake 2.4.17 kernel...and just add settings for the
grsec security settings, leaving the rest as is.

There is one especially nice benefit of building a
kernel.org kernel that I had forgotten about (It has
been a long time since I last built a straight kernel
tarball) - the default settings in xconfig are OFF
instead of EVERYTHING being turned on in the mandrake
kernel config.  This means you have to actively go
through and turn specific things off rather than going
down the list and turning things off.  The way it
works out, you end up turning on less than you would
have activated by going through the mandrake default
kernel config and turning things off - unless you are
REALLY dilligent.  The kernel you end up with is
tighter/smaller, and the number of modules is a good
deal less.

--- James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:02:24 +0100
> "H.McM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > The only other suggestion I have is to try the
> 2.4.8-34 kernel from the
> Mandrake 81 update directory. That fixed a parallel
> port issue with me,
> but not much else besides.
[...]
> > If all else fails, try inserting a toasted cheese
> sandwich into drive A.
>
> Tried that once.... my printer just printed out a
> picture of a large,
> bald, sweaty guy dancing on a stage.
[...]
> > > I'm still in kernel hell.  The stock 2.4.8 (8.1)
> > > kernel doesn't work for me.  The pcmcia is
> screwed (It
> > > doesn't properly deal with my old, reliable 3Com
> 589
[...]