Well, it is a laptop so the hardware doesn't really
change beyond pcmcia cards or, perhaps, usb devices.
However, one thing that consistently was happening
with my system when going from 2.4.8 to 2.4.17 was
kudzu would come up and re-identify my soundcard,
wanting to remove the previous settings from 2.4.8.
It still identified it as an ESS Solo1 (es1938) but
would do something with the settings.  Also, I do not
have access to my desktop right now...several states
away...and I would like to testdrive "stuff" on my
laptop before I give it a go on my desktop.  Problems
with kudzu here may indicate that there will be
problems on my desktop if I go to 2.4.17 there too.
  I can now turn it off on my laptop but what about
desktop systems? Does 2.4.17 have a general issue with
kudzu?

praedor

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I'm pretty sure they are but I am rebuilding it
> now.
> > Another caveat involves a host of non-fatal errors
> > upon boot, which I also noticed on the mandrake
> 2.4.17
> > kernels when I tried them.  First is:
> >
> > Unknown bridge resource 0:  assuming transparent
> >
> > AND I get a hundred or so entries in my
> > /var/log/messages thus:
> >
> > clm-6005: writing inode 53605 on readonly FS.
> >
> > Finally, kernel-2.4.17 appears to have a problem
> wth
> > kudzu.  Kudzu fails to run on boot and the
> > /var/log/messages specifies that it failed and
> that it
> > should be run by hand.
> >
> > Assuming the 2.4.17 kernel I am presently building
> > works with regards to networking (and doesn't give
> me
> > the sit0 error message mentioned above), I will
> use
> > the kernel config file I used to make it with the
> > mandrake 2.4.17 kernel...and just add settings for
> the
> > grsec security settings, leaving the rest as is.
> >
> > There is one especially nice benefit of building a
> > kernel.org kernel that I had forgotten about (It
> has
> > been a long time since I last built a straight
> kernel
> > tarball) - the default settings in xconfig are OFF
> > instead of EVERYTHING being turned on in the
> mandrake
> > kernel config.  This means you have to actively go
> > through and turn specific things off rather than
> going
> > down the list and turning things off.  The way it
> > works out, you end up turning on less than you
> would
> > have activated by going through the mandrake
> default
> > kernel config and turning things off - unless you
> are
> > REALLY dilligent.  The kernel you end up with is
> > tighter/smaller, and the number of modules is a
> good
> > deal less.
> >

> > --- James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> 2.4.8-34 kernel from the
> >> Mandrake 81 update directory. That fixed a
> parallel
> >> port issue with me,
> >> but not much else besides.
> > [...]
> cheese
> >> sandwich into drive A.
> >>
> >> Tried that once.... my printer just printed out a
> >> picture of a large,
> >> bald, sweaty guy dancing on a stage.
> > [...]
> (8.1)
> >> screwed (It
> 3Com
> >> 589
> > [...]
> > Great stuff seeking new owners in Yahoo! Auctions!
> > http://auctions.yahoo.com
>

> --
> GPG Key fingerprint = 4F36 EC4F 2F2C 5F59 9690  09E5

MandrakeSoft?