Mandrake adds a lot of things, including supermount
support and for their 2.4.17 kernels thus far, a set
of security updates that reduce the system's
vulnerability to buffer overflow exploits, makes the
system hard to identify via port scans, makes it less
visable entirely to stealth scans, reduces
vulnerabilities to DoSing, and so forth.
  The ultimate intent is to include supermount into
the kernel, but they haven't yet even though it has
been a good while since it was introduced (linus
himself has indicated he plans to see supermount added
to the default kernel ...it is just taking forever to
get there).  As for security...why hasn't linus added
the NSA security measures to linux?  Those are solid
security patches/improvements, yet they are not in the
linux kernel by default.  Who knows what logic is used
to decide (sometimes not much - see the complete
change in VM right in the middle of the 2.4.x
development tree and the stink that caused).

praedor

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Praedor Tempus said:
> > My next move will be to try to get the current
> kernel config I
> > successfully  used with the basic 2.4.17 kernel
> with the mandrake
> > 2.4.17.8 kernel.  I still  want the security
> updates that it has but
> > which isn't part of the kernel.org  kernel.
>
> What security patches have been applied to the
> Mandrake 2.4.17.x kernels
> that aren't in the genuine 2.4.17 tarball?  I would
> think that if they
> were of much importance, Linus would have applied
> them and released 2.4.18
> accordingly.
> --
> GPG Key fingerprint = 4F36 EC4F 2F2C 5F59 9690  09E5
> 4C0F 9DB0 8623 53CE
>

> > Want to buy your Pack or Services from
MandrakeSoft?