On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:56, Civilme wrote:

> SNF is a wonderful product for this--put a box with two NICs between the
>   network and the Novell server and add one static IP on the network
> side--there you will need to set up a netmask to enclose your local IPs
>     (and you can make them local addresses)  the other NIC attaches to the
> novell server.
>
> Now from any local station once you are installed, run a browser at
> https://(IP of SNF):8443 with login admin and password the admin
> password you set up at install time.  You can configure The internet
> connection, specify which traffic goes through each way, forward ports
> to ftp or web servers if you like, bust junk by blocking domains using
> squidguard, and so on.
>
> SNF is very stable technology, right now based on kernel 2.2, and it is
> annoying to some because it does not offer a DMZ, and because editing
> the usual files directly on the server as root doesn't make a permanent
> configuration.. The browser is the tool of choice or else the study of
> the code to find the files that load the config files.
>
> Anyway, it is a neat package that can work with an old P166 and 64M and
> a little disk to make your life much easier.
>
> Civileme
> QA Team

I've been "playing" with this on a P75 with 24Mb RAM where it goes onto the
box either via the graphical install or the text install without any dramas.
In this box I have 2 NIC's and both are detected very well.  The major hurdle
I have now is trying to apply the updates.
Httpd-naat (original) has a problem finding the offical mirrors - known
problem and reason for the updated package.  I manually download updates from
an official mirror.

Httpd-naat wipes out the default user and refuses to run at all.
Kernel updates goes well, but some of the modules are not found in the newer
version during boot.
Apache breaks totally once the update is installed - no socket error from
"links http://127.0.0.1/";, which worked on the original packages.
"urpmi webmin" can't locate the required perl-Net_SSLeay-1.05-4mdk package.

Has anyone tested the update packages listed in the official updates
directory with a clean install of snf7.2?

In light of the problems I've experienced above, would it be about time for a
newer version of snf7.2 to be released?
--
        CYA,
        Muzza.