On Thursday 31 January 2002 09:54 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan, at 07:19:59 -0700, Praedor Tempus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> done
said:
> > run exists in the /service but not in root and not in env.  The install
> > script doesn't create them and as far as I can determine, it shouldn't.
>
> Well, your install script is not creating all the files it should as it
> is obviously getting called.  You might try building djbdns from source
> and I think you'll have better luck (but it doesn't come with an init
> script, so you might want to hang onto yours if you want to use it).  Or
> try someone else's djbdns RPMs.  Just out of curiosity, where did you
> get yours?
[...]

I actually did download the source, build and install it.  I got it from the
djbdns website.  The source is strikingly bereft of
documents/intructions/readmes.  I made it without difficulty and installed
it, and it even created the proper accounts.

> ---
> Tinydns does authoritative nameserving via UDP only; it does not do
> recursive nameserving, nor does it answer TCP queries (axfrdns does
> that). The only hosts that should ask tinydns for a host are recursive
> nameservers, such as those found in /etc/resolv.conf, like djbdns or
> bind. Tinydns should never be listed in /etc/resolv.conf. Tinydns
> interoperates properly with every authoritative and recursive nameserver
> I know of, and supporting all the standards needed to do so.
> ---
>
> > mailserver from whatever IP I have, thus I would like a static
> > domainname, which I do have.  I believe I would need dhcp-dns (which I
> > also have) in combination with tinydns so that my domainname (and thus
> > mailserver) is always visable regardless of IP address and without me
> > having to manually update my files myself whenever my IP address
> > changes.
>
> Hrm, you've got me here.  I don't know anything about dhcp-dns, but I
> was simply commenting on your having the IP of the box on which you were
> running tinydns listed in your /etc/resolv.conf.  I'll have to take a
> look at dhcp-dns though as I might be able to use that too.  How do you
> like it?

I haven't used it yet.  I intended to start playing with it once I managed to
get tinydns up and running properly (my IP address remains the same for long
periods, but that is dependent upon how late I get to work/school, how many
others are on, etc, since it is DHCP-based.

> > If there is another solution (static IP is not an option) then I would
> > be happy to hear it.  What I would really like is to be able to "force"
> > my ISPs DNSs to update whenever my IP address changes and themselves
> > always point to my particular domain and my mailserver.
>
> Ok, so you've registered your own domain and you're just wanting to run
> your own services, right?  I'm just not familiar enough with this part,
> but you had to list two validated DNS servers when you registered that
> domain, right (your ISPs DNS servers?)?  How are you going to get your
> machine who's assigned an IP dynamically to be authoritative for that
> domain if it's not either of the ones listed in your whois info?

For the moment the default DNS servers are from the registration body
(eName).  I have the capability to alter them, I just haven't gotten there
yet.  I am trying to work out what, exactly, I need to do (or if running
tinydns is part of it at all).  It may be as simple as getting my local
network guys to put me in their servers...but I am about to move to another
location soon with a DHCP network there too.  I had hoped to have a mobile
solution.

praedor