Skippi wrote:

> Hi everyone.  First, thanks for all the on list & off list replies.  Thanks
> to your input I have managed to fix a few little things with my fetchmail
> configuration (and for those who asked, yes I have been using fetchmailconf
> to set that up.  I have made progress and fetchmail is now working.
>
> However, since this isn't going to be easy, I have discovered that sendmail
> must pass the mail from fetchmail to pygmy (the email reader).  Am I right
> about that?  So now it seems that sendmail doesn't work.  Can anyone tell
> me
>
> According to Linux In A Nutshell sendmail is suppose to have a config file
> called /etc/sendmail.cf -- well, I have no such thing.  I do have a
> /usr/lib/sendmail-cf/ directory with a load of subdirectories and a README
> file which was written for people  much smarter than I am.  At this point
> I'm "assuming" (take cover) that I need to set up sendmail.  Can anyone
> clue me on how to do this?
>
> I love Linux, but this sure is a lot of work to read some emai.  Can
> sendmail be set up as part of the install process?  Or is there a reason
> that can not be done?  Thanks again for all the help.
>
> Skippi

Well try to be positive about the whole matter. If you think it has been
tough up to now, just wait until you tackle setting up sendmail. Yes,
fetchmail will need sendmail for mail delivery (or some equivalent
application). Yes, you must have a file named "sendmail.cf", and, yes,
it is normally in the directory "/etc". You should be able to find some
generic cf templates in "/usr/share/sendmail-cf/". You could use one of
these, just copy it to "/etc", and do your editing. My humble
suggestions to you would be to get some good documentation on using
sendmail, and how to set it up using fetchmail. Maybe, for the first
time, try using the application named "webmin". If all of this fails,
you could look into using postfix. It might be a tad easier to set up.

I think you can choose sendmail as your mail delivery system during the
mandrake install process. Each linux distro seems to possess its own
peculiarities in this regard. Red Hat's default mail program is
sendmail, and mandrake chooses postfix--go figure...

--
J. Craig Woods
UNIX/NT Network/System Administration

-Art is the illusion of spontaneity-