I made all the scripts in /etc/ that setup my network
simlinks to file owned by my user in a special conf dir.
I set eth0 to be user controlled.
I then have scripts called 'setlocaiton_home' and 'setlocation_work'
that put the right files in the similnked special conf dir and then call
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0
and the job is done.
All without having to become root either.