On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, J. Grant wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Perhaps some of you have the same problem I do. I take my laptop at work
> and change IP proxy/firewall etc. Then I return home and have to set it
> all up again.
>
> atm i use differnet logins, but idealy i would have some sort of
> Enviroment varaible that was set by lilo depending on my bootup which
> was then used to configure the rest of the proxys and other options on
> my laptop. DHCP can solve the IP problem but then its not possible ssh
> into my laptop unitl i find the IP each day.

You can specify that a particular MAC address always gets the same IP
address in your /etc/dhcpd.conf file.

You can also try creating a separate set of run level scripts for the
other location. The only difference would be the default configuration
files it would use for the network.

Or you can setup DHCP on your home network. It would take about five
minutes and may solve the problem for you.