>Why not? At best its just a "compatibility" DLL that allows easier
>migration between Unix and Windows. For specific applications you don't
>need the full Cygwin install, though you do get a great set of tools
>with it. I use Cygwin to allow a common build environment that works
>seamlessly on Solaris, Linux and Windows/Cygwin.

Didn't know you didn't need the full install, so I'll definitely give that a
try in the future. I'd love to have a version of PG running on my windows
partition. The full package is (as I remember) quite large, and not
particularly friendly for those folks who are not Linux/unix friendly. It
also seemed to run (how to put this) a little weird on my system, and that
was enough to make me skeptical.

The absolute killer for the app I am developing is that first part: there's
no way I can put this out there and require folks  to figure out cygwin and
then postgres. Just ain't going to happen. But I'm not locking myself into
windows - good god no! Banish the thought.

I happen to be writing my application in PHP with an excellent database
abstraction layer, so it will (theoretically) work on any supported
platform, with any one of seven different databases, including Postgres.
That's the open source way. :)