On Saturday 23 February 2002 07:56 am, you wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-02-23 at 12:27, Hoyt wrote:
> > I haven't complied a kernel in a few years, but from what you posted, it
> > looks like you're having a dependency problem with the 3rd party apps,
> > even if you deselect them all in the config file. Try moving the
> > /usr/src/linux/3rdparty directory somewhere else and see what happens and
> > use make distclean or make mrproper (I forget which one is appropriate
> > it's been so long, so you'll have to look that one up).
>
> I tried moving the 3rdparty directory, all that happens there is that
> make config, or make xconfig fail on startup as that directory is used.

Then you'll have to try something else.

> As for posting to the cooker list I cant due to some obnoxios premadonna
> who dos'nt like the word help being used.

Not using the word HELP in the subject line seems to be the way to go then.

> They've patched the mandrake kernel so much there is only a handfull of
> people now, that can successfully compile it...,thats not development
> .

Can you compile the unaltered Mandrake sources? If so, then it's what you are
doing or the incompatability of the patch (to mandrake sources) that is the
problem.

> the process of development is to product a stable working product, and
> not to have a private little club.

No, it's to have a working product the way the Mandrake developers want it.
If you want something different, you're on your owm -- that choice is what
Linux and free software are all about.

My advice? Patch the generic kernel sources. If that fails, double-check your
methodology and if your methodology is correct, contact the person who wrote
the patch.

--
Hoyt

http://www.maximumhoyt.com