Hello out there...

I hope this question won't raise a fs-jihad ;-).
And I hope this mail isn't too long, but I'm
trying to be as specific as possible.

On installing Mandrake 8.1 the Installer offers
various options for the partition's fs. I'm
again in the business of setting up a usual PC
as a dual-boot machine with NT 4 and Man 8.1.
And now I wonder which FS to choose for my
particular layout...
ext2, ext3, ReiserFS or XFS,...

NT is for work and m8.1 is for experimenting,
learning and exposing some of our "you can't be
wrong with windoze"-guys to "unknown"
alternatives. The hardware is quite simple:
P-III, DVD-Drive, HP CD-burner, Creative
soundblaster and 3Com-LAN-NIC.

I already browsed through the mandrake user
and reference manuals, the SUSE sysad-manual,
the LSAG (LDP), googled in some linux newsgroups
and o'reilly's "running linux, 2nd ed".
But none of them came up with some sort of
recommendation or rule of thumb for this case.

Just a short statement in LSAG: "There is usually
little point in using many different filesystems.
Currently, ext2 is the most popular one, and it
is probably the wisest choice. (...) This needs to
be decided on a case-by-case basis."
Looks a little bit outdated...

The purpose of the m8.1 will primarily be:
Gaining experience. It will serve as a workstation
and server. "Areas" to be included: Apache, samba,
NFS, mysql, postgresql, networking tools, developing
and the usual KDE, internet & office stuff (no fancy
multi-media stuff, mp3 or the like). And later maybe
oracle 9i personal edition...

Hence I designed the following layout for my m8.1
part of the disk:

/boot      50 MB
/swap     800 MB (approx. 3 * RAM size)
/         250 MB
/var      650 MB
/usr     9800 MB
/home    7000 MB

On the IBM-DeveloperWorks-Site (in general a very
nice source for tutorials on lx, java, xml,...) I found
a series of articles by Daniel Robbins dealing with
the new array of filesystems for the 2.4 kernel.

According to the IBM author those FS's show the
different advantages and diadvantages:

ReiserFS
+ better in handling small files (< 4 k)
- eventually performance loss with reading large mail
  directories
- poor sparse file performance
- NFs compatibility not so good

ext3
+ easys transition from ext2
+ backward compatible to ext2
+ supposed to be very reliable
- slightly "slower" than XFS/reiserFS

XFS
+ speedy on large files
+ efficient disk accesses
- slower deletes

Robbins' recommendation: "Those who were looking for
raw performance generally leaned towards ReiserFS,
while those more interested in meticulous data integrity
features preferred ext3. However, with the release of XFS
for Linux, things have suddenly become much more confusing."

I'm still not sure which fs design to choose.
Should all partitions have the same fs including
/boot and / ?  Which one ?
Do you, out there, have any hands-on recommendations for
this purpose ?
Experience with the reliability, recoverability and
compatibility of the various fs' ?
Any known problem areas for the three fs ?

Thanx in advance from Berlin

Oliver

BTW - this is a very nice mailing list. Not too much
traffic. Hence you still can follow all threads and
learn a lot :-).