Actually, ext3 is almost a total rewrite. While ext2 was designed with various
'hooks' which allows extra functionality via 'plug-ins' (including on-the-fly
compression and journalling), the ext3 designers thought it best to start
afresh. Ext2 is still a very good filesystem, with an elegant design. It made
sense to make ext3 in a similar fashion.That being the case, it also made sense
to make it backward-compatible with ext2.

While generally being the slowest FS, ext3 has one advantage over the others:
data integrity. With ext3, you have the choice of having no journalling (for
maximum speed; just like ext2), metadata journalling (like ReiserFS, XFS and
JFS) or even data journalling (for maximum data integrity, at the expense of
speed). The third option, data journalling, is available only to ext3, and makes
it a far more reliable FS than the others.

I personally use ReiserFS on my home system. I've had a single 10GB partition
for all my data (my drive is too small to make multiple partitions very
practicable) for about a year now, and my system has recovered flawlessly from
numerous crashes and outages. I use ReiserFS 3.5, which was the latest when I
created the partition, which I am told is a little better than the latest today,
3.6.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"Ok, the guy who made the netfilter Makefile was probably on some really
interesting and probably highly illegal drugs when he wrote it."
 -- Linus
Torvalds