As usual, KDE DCOP strokes out on a new login/restart.  Doesn't matter if I
shut down normally or not, upon the next startup here we go again...and of
course artsd is broken too.  It frickin' refuses to work at better than every
so once in a while.  I am running KDE 2.2.2 on Mandrake 8.1.  Here are the
excerpts from my .xsession-errors file:

For DCOP:

Creating link /home/praedor/.kde/socket-d152-159.
Created link from "/home/praedor/.kde/socket-d152-159" to
"/tmp/ksocket-praedor"
DCOPServer up and running.
kdeinit: Shutting down running client.
kio (KLauncher): ERROR: KLauncher: KDEInit communication error! Commiting
suicide!
DCOP aborting (delayed) call from 'kded' to 'klauncher'
---------------------------------
It looks like dcopserver is already running. If you are sure
that it is not already running, remove /home/praedor/.DCOPserver_d152-159_:0
and start dcopserver again.
---------------------------------

And here's artsd.  Doesn't matter if I remove all mcop, .DCOP,
~/.kde/socket-* nonsense, artsd will not work.  It DID work yesterday and
nothing has changed since then.  It turns out to be hit or miss with artsd:

warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still 9 object references alive.
  - Arts::SampleStorage
  - Arts::Synth_MULTI_ADD
  - Arts::Synth_MULTI_ADD
  - Arts::Synth_PLAY
  - Arts::StereoVolumeControl
  - Arts::StereoEffectStack
  - Arts::Synth_BUS_DOWNLINK
  - Arts::SoundServerV2
  - Arts::MidiManager
warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still 69 types alive.
sound server terminated
sh: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``'
sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
KMixPrefDlg::apply()
okay
sound server terminated
warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still 13 object references alive.
  - Arts::SampleStorage
  - Arts::Synth_MULTI_ADD
  - Arts::Synth_MULTI_ADD
  - Arts::Synth_PLAY
  - Arts::StereoVolumeControl
  - Arts::StereoEffectStack
  - Arts::Synth_BUS_DOWNLINK
  - Arts::SoundServerV2
  - Arts::AudioManagerClient
  - Arts::Synth_BUS_UPLINK
  - Arts::Synth_PLAY_WAV
  - Arts::Synth_AMAN_PLAY
  - Arts::MidiManager
warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still 69 types alive.
Can't connect to sound server

What the hell does it take to make artsd actually work all the time?  What
files must I destroy to make artsd work again?  Restarting artsd doesn't
work.  The correct kernel modules are loaded and the mixer is properly setup.

praedor