--- civileme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
>  First, the linux kernel isn't really designed for
> sound.  It does not
> use a very high bandwidth for sound events.  Next,
> the sound drivers are
> fragmented and in disarray.  I have helped numerous
> individuals who
> somehow managed to be running both ALSA and OSS at
> the same time.
>  (Thing is, XMMS will still sort-of cooperate so
> they think it is a
> driver error or some weird intermittent.)  Anyway,
> neither OSS nor ALSA
> support all of them, and sometimes the dodges to
> install sound properly
> require a few incantations and a bit of voodoo.
[...]

This is a MAJOR linux problem then, that needs fixing.
 It cannot (I reiterate, it CANNOT) make it on as a
desktop system with broken sound.  Games, MP3s,
multimedia all absolutely require sound and  these are
some of the major things expected to work properly on
a desktop system.  It isn't even debatable.  Sound
MUST work/be made to work properly.

Perhaps one thing that could be done is to make artsd
fully friendly.  Instead of sometimes needing to do an
"artsdsp <command>" to get sound, that should be the
normal and automatic that artsd works - any app not a
kde app automatically goes through artsdsp.  Artsd is
really not very friendly with the codeweavers
crossover plugin, for instance, and that little
creation is a BIG winner app.  OSS sucks, frankly,
since if anything more than two apps want to produce a
sound, it croaks (Alsa handles this correctly when
alsa works).  Sound needs fixing.

[...]
> Praedor, I saw an earlier post from you criticizing
> OpenOffice, but I
> see an error in your logic.
>
> You impute a motive of making a faster load then
> criticize the package
> on that basis.  This might follow if such a motive
> existed, but it does
> not, at least not as a primary motive.  The first
> reason to split the
[...]

Well, OK, but I must say that if Sun releases
StarOffice 6.0 and it is anywhere near as horrifically
slow and plodding as is OpenOffice641, then it will
not go anywhere.

My experience recently with OpenOffice641 was that not
only was swriter slow, but every single other app was
slooooow.  And switching from one app window to the
next was slooow.   It was like I was trying to run
Linux and KDE on a 64 MB system with a pentium chip.
  It is fine to fix bugs and then worry about speed
but unless the speed will come quickly after the bug
fixes, then I cannot see a viable StarOffice 6.0
coming out anytime in the near future. ..and
OpenOffice will not be ahead of StarOffice in this
regard so if StarOffice will be having speed/usability
problems, so will OpenOffice.
  The speed issue didn't correct even after the app
was up and running.  It remained slow, period.  Hence,
I reinstalled 5.2 and given that it starts up
initially very slowly, once up all the apps become
pretty responsive.
   I have used KOffice now and again but I can't trust
it not to crash at inopportune moments and Kchart
really is horrible - and I need something like kchart
+ kspread to graph data.  About the only thing I can
say about the Koffice suite in THIS regard is that
kchart is well ahead of the gnumeric equivalent,
though the actual spreadsheet apps are roughly
equivalent in functionality.
  When/if the day arrives that the koffice suite can
do what StarOffice can do then I will dump StarOffice
(and hopefully koffice will do more...LIKE
CITATIONS!!!  WHO CAN WRITE A RESEARCH PAPER WITHOUT
CITATIONS?! - It is INSANE to enter them by hand!
Only Lyx can do this right but no one seems to give a
damn so I assume everyone is using these suites for
nothing more than writing letters to grandma or
something equally simple).

  I've looked with interest at Hancom and a few other
similar apps (Gobe is another that is on the way).
They may be nice for lightweight
wordprocessing/spreadsheets but none of them will
handle hardcore, major league research papers THAT
REQUIRE CITATIONS.  Word CAN handle this, as can
WordPerfect, on Macs and Windoze when used in
combination with EndNote.  They have the
functionality, we don't (except for Lyx - and if you
haven't ever used Lyx, it is difficult to get used to,
difficult to use without learning a programming
language - for all practical purposes: latex) and it
isn't planned for any linux wordprocessor either.

praedor