IIRC, he tried to expand Mandrakesoft into areas like e-learning and support,
and this came at the expense of their core GNU/Linux distribution business.
Since Mandrakesoft was (and still is) still a small, heavily indebted and
unprofitable company, its first objective should have been to reach
profitability.

The moral of the story is that it's best to stick to your core strengths, and
then cautiously expand only when things have stabilised. Red Hat has done that,
and now they are profitable. Henri Poole was following the path of many dot
coms, even though many of them had failed by that stage (the boom was over).

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

        The Information Revolution will be fought on the command line.