On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 01:26, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> IIRC, he tried to expand Mandrakesoft into areas like e-learning and support,
> and this came at the expense of their core GNU/Linux distribution business.
> Since Mandrakesoft was (and still is) still a small, heavily indebted and
> unprofitable company, its first objective should have been to reach
> profitability.
>
> The moral of the story is that it's best to stick to your core strengths, and
> then cautiously expand only when things have stabilised. Red Hat has done that,
> and now they are profitable. Henri Poole was following the path of many dot
> coms, even though many of them had failed by that stage (the boom was over).
>
> --
> Sridhar Dhanapalan
>
>       The Information Revolution will be fought on the command line.

Sridhar,

I find this a powerful analysis of Red Hat in a nutshell.  Transgaming
Gavriel State (I think).  I subscribed to Transgaming in order to get
some winblows stuff (like my password manager) running as well as some
of the games.  I've never regretted doing this.

A distribution is of course much more important than a package alone.
Therefore it's that much more important (from my standpoint) that I
subscribe to Mandrake.  It's important to do so for more than one
reason; another one is that they support this list, and therefore all
the activity therein.  If we'd like to continue to talk to each other in
a technical way (and sometimes a social one), I think that it's time for
some activism.  There will be those that don't care, and the occasional
pinhead; but for the most part, I've been simply astounded by the
quality of the subscribers of this list in the respect that they want
not only to help each other, but also are willing to shell out some hard
earned clams for the distribution they love.