On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 14:25, Praedor Tempus wrote:
> OK, I have always been stuck with either localhost or whatever name my dhcp
> server gives me (today I am d152-159).  I would LIKE to give myself an alias
> of my choice but every time I've made any moves in that direction, it borks
> my system.  KDE chokes and cannot connect to itself anymore, no new konsoles,
> inability to contact my mail provider, and other sorts of networking-related
> pain.  All I did was set my alias using linuxconf!  An ALIAS dorks networking
> and the system?!
>   Doing a "man hostname" doesn't give me anything useful.  I try "hostname -a
> <my desired alias>" and it returns nothing but a blank line.  I edit
> /etc/hosts and try to add/change the alias there.  No good (and its gone next
> startup).  What is the magic trick to naming my system whatever I want to?

The startup script checks for a 'localhost' entry in /etc/hosts, so you
need to leave that there and simply add your preferred hostname on a
second line. Try something like this:

[dave@dedannshae dave]$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
127.0.0.1       dedannshae.thuria.org   dedannshae
[dave@dedannshae dave]$

Works great on my system, using dhcp at home and work (it's a laptop).

--
Dave Sherman                          Beware the wrath of dragons,
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA                        for you are crunchy,