I own several domain names and wanted to give my system an alias to match
with my domain names (they're all related).  This is on a laptop running MDK
8.1.  If I open up linuxconf and go to the networking, then adaptor 1 (my
eth0 card) and in the aliases box enter ANYTHING (it is blank), it borks my
system.  If I have kmail up at the time, I am no longer able to access my pop
mailserver.  I can no longer connect to any websites.
  I have found that if I do an "ifdown eth0 & ifup eth0" then all is fixed -
but the alias is gone.  I HAVE now edited my /etc/hosts file to contain all
my domain names and aliases _in_addition_ to the default
localhost.localdomain entry.  THIS appears to be OK - I even have dydns setup
with a domain entered in my /etc/hosts and have a dynamic dns client updater
working.  I can now ping any of my aliases and get responses from 127.0.0.1
AND if I ping the dydns domain name, instead of getting results from pinging
127.0.0.1, it pings my dhcp-assigned IP address.   So that appears to be
working.  What I can't seem to do is get my system to be named anything other
than localhost when not connected to a network (inspite of the aliases added
in conjunction to the localhost entries in hosts).   Surely one can name
their computer anything they want, alias-wise, and not have it screw up the
localhost.localdomain setup?  I simply want my chosen alias to appear in KDM
("Welcome to <my alias>" instead of "Welcome to localhost" or Welcome to
d152-159" as per my dhcp assignment) and at the command prompt in terminals,
on window title bars, etc.
  Another thing, I also have a domain name registered with Alternic.  To use
their dns services, to make it work, you need to add their extended dns to
your /etc/resolv.conf.  I do this but it only lasts until the next bootup.  I
just want the Alternic dns servers to be added in addition to that of my dhcp
automatically assigned dns'.  What happens:  I add the Alternic dns address
after my local dns servers (added automatically to resolv.conf).  It is there
until I reboot.  Is there a way to have extra, non-changing dns servers in
addition to dns servers added automatically via my dhcp setup?  Can't they
all just get along?

So Simon, for you, yes I have managed to get my aliases assigned to my system
in the /etc/hosts file.  Just do not alter the first line for
localhost.localdomain.  Duplicate it on subsequent lines and subsitute you
domain name and alias for localhost.localdomain and localhost.  If you do not
have your own domain names, you can simply keep the localhost.localdomain
entry for the domain name but for the alias, substitute whatever name you
want.  So far, all this allows me to do is ping my alias - the alias doesn't
replace "localhost" on window titlebars, command prompts, KDM, etc.

On Thursday 21 March 2002 02:45 am, Simon Naish wrote:
> Same trouble for me also Praedor :(
>
> I've tried LinuxConf, Mandrake Control Centre - I have no home network
> though so it wont even give me the option - and messing with the config
> files (/etc/hosts or whatever) All attempts have totally blown the system.
> If you get anywhere with this please let me know, I have had to admit
> defeat and get on with other stuff.
[...]