Ashley Moore wrote:

>hi,
>
>i've been trying to get Mdk 8.1 to connect to the internet via ADSL for
>the last 2 days on a friends computer with no luck.
>
>i installed Mdk 8.1 from the Powerpack boxed set on an old AMD-233 with
>64 MB RAM and 2Gb Hdd. the telco (TELUS in BC,canada) installed the line
>and modem before he had the computer up. (this is happening at an office
>in a garment store!!. he plans to host his own web site in a while, this
>PC will eventually function as a firewall).
>
>The ADSL modem is a D-Link DSL300i. the only ethernet device is a
>"DECchip 21041 {Tulip pass 3]"
>I finally managed to get X working on the "SiS 63xx PCI VGA" with just 2
>Mb (640x480 limit) on the card KDE is a real drag. with icewm I could
>get to the mandrake control center and to launch the wizard to configure
>the ADSL link. but the wizard failed to bring up the link.
>I used rp-pppoe as the protocol. I went thru the ADSL-HOWTO and also
>check out the rp-pppoe docs. (and followed them to the letter)
>/var/log/messages show the foll:
>
>....Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/5
>....Timecout waiting for PADO packets
>....LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
>
>the value /dev/pts/5 changes to 6 and the same errors repeat will pppd
>dies and eventually pppoe.
>
>i also tried with 'dhcpcd' protocol. this time the link seems to come up
>with an valid ip assigned to it. 'ifconfig' shows a valid
>ip/broadcast/sunet mask, even Linuxconf shows automatically obtained
>DNS1 & 2 ip addresses. but I cannot ping any address except my own and
>the DNS servers.

If you can ping the DNS servers, you are done. The link works!
- try running `route' to see if you have a default router and try to
ping the router
you may be unable to ping anything outside your providers network
because they use some firewall. I have the same problem.
- try telnet(i sent `GET /' request to a web server) :
[hramrach@uvt407-5 ML]$ telnet mandrake.com 80
Trying 63.209.80.248...
Connected to smtp.mandrake.com (63.209.80.248).
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>302 Found</TITLE>