hi again,

i am using the mdk 8.1 power pack edition. all software versions are
according to whats on the CD. (no internet to get any updates...yet)

the ADSL-howto mentions that now most ISP's have changed to the pppoe
protocol in favour of Dhcp. the howto also mentiones that after the link
comes up, ifconfig should also show me the ppp0 interface.

after I configured the ADSL with dhcp and could ping *only* the DNS
servers, ifconfig still only show eth0 and lo, no ppp0

is it possible that the link uses pppoe and I'm forcing dhcp....?

is it because dhcp is used the ppp i-f does not come up?

maybe i'm using the wrong protocol to connect .... ?

anyway, with dhcp configured, my routing table looks like:
---
10.23.64.0      *       255.255.192.0   U  0  0  0  eth0
127.0.0.0       *       255.0.0.0       U  0  0  0  lo
default   10.23.64.254  0.0.0.0         UG 0  0  0  eth0
---
ifconfig shows a configured ip of 10.23.125.218

later today I will try to confure th PC again, maybe this time I'll try
using another pppoe client.

pinging the DNS servers works, but no luck with any other ip on the
internet, should i also be thinking of reverse lookups or something on
the same lines. (maybe theres no route back to the PC)

excuse the ignorance (like i mentioned.... my first attempt)

--
Ashley Moore.
CCNP,MCP,CNE.