This is true.  My experience with MDK 8.1 --

PI / 150MHz box, 64M RAM -- installed, worked just fine.
PII / 250MHz box, 188M RAM -- tried to install 9 times.  Never made it work.  Fout
times never even got thru the install program before it crashed and burned.

I'm not saying MDK is perfect (what software is) and yes I was totally pissed off
about the situation and called all sorts of people all sorts of names, but it's often
hardware.

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 22:16:35 -0700, Lorne Shantz wrote:
> Hey gang... one more thing to consider BEFORE you blame a distro. I've been
> playing with these releases from Mandrake for a long time now. I got 8.1
> awhile back and put it on a 1.2 ghz machine and it would lock up, and no way
> would it install. I tried different CD's and everything I could think of to no
> avail. I was just about to blame the distro when I tried it on an identical
> 1.2GHZ machine and it installed flawlessly! I mean beautifully. Something was
> wrong with the hardware on that one box. Windows installed just fine. ??? Go
> figure, but before you come to the conclusion it is a bad distro, consider
> that it may be the hardware has problems. Just a thought.

Skippi
  On The Fly Photography
    http://204EastSouth.com
Meditation -- Yoga -- Linux -- Muffins