On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 14:34:57 -0500 "Hoyt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> (BTW, the 65555 on board uses FBDev faster and
> > better than the SVGA, and with equal resolution.)

Ditto for the 65550.

> I was using the "chips" drive with XFree 4.x in mandrake 8.2. I was
> experiencing severe X lockups (screen and keyboard).

On my Toshiba Tecra500CDT, the *entire* system locked up every time...
not even a response to ARP packets.

> After installing the FBDev rpm, I simply changed the driver from "chips"
> to"fbdev". Now I no longer have any lockups.

This is an install issue IMHO...  on 8.1, this was selectable at install
time...  on 8.2, even though I specified "unknown/fbdev", it still
installed "chips" -- thanks for your email -- I was assUming that was not
the problem...

Another issue:
               LM8.1              LM8.2
  XFree 3.x    works              fails
  XFree 4.x    locks-up(chips)    works (fbdev)
which caused me to focus on trying to get XFree 3.x working thinking there
was no hope for 4.x... Would've eventually found this; but you saved my
time -- thanks!

> I'm using a Toshibs Satellite Pro 420CDS, C&T 65555, 2MB video RAM.
>
> Because the laptop only has 40MB of RAM, I must remove the drive and
> install Mandrake on the drive while mounted on another machine.

This one is strange...  Mine is a Toshiba Tecra 500CDT, C&T65550, 2MB
video, *32MB* RAM, 6.4GB HD and LM8.2 installed *first time* in graphical
mode...  of course, this machine does not support CD boot, so I have to
create a cdrom.img floppy; but it worked.
> Hoyt

Pierre